ASK JOHN: THIS MONTH IN HISTORY- AUGUST

OPINION

John: Being as no one asked me a question this week, we have the opportunity to explore the month of August during our travel down the corridor of time. June and July were previously presented in this column and copies are available at the Burleson Visitor Center and Museum.
 Some of the happenings in August were:
1800: The Spanish governor issued orders for the arrest of Philip Nolen, an Irish horse trader who lived among Texas Indians, on suspicion of encouraging the Indians to rebel against Spanish authorities. (Texas Handbook)
1855: The Bethesda Baptist Church was organized this month in a small log cabin on the plantation of Pleasant Inman. (Block)
1855; A controversy over the location of the county seat for Johnson County, which was to be named Wardville for Thomas William Wardville , was settled by a special election this month when the Wardville site was chosen. (Texas Handbook)
1856: An election ruled that Wardville was not sufficiently near the center of the county. The county seat was to be relocated to Buchanan. (Texas Handbook)
1869: An eleven foot alligator was killed this week in the Brazos River near Kimball. (Chronicle)
1873: Three miles east of Cleburne, vigilantes shot a boy for horse stealing, then dropped his body down a well. “The good name of Johnson County is likely to suffer from the acts of bad characters within its borders.” (Chronicle)
1876: The posse that returned on the 14th were themselves arrested when their victim’s horse and gear were recognized among them. (Examiner)
1877: It rained 16 inches in Johnson County in one day. Seven people drowned in Cleburne, and dozens of others were rescued from treetops. Crops were damaged all over the County. (Quinn)
1883: E.C. Campbell of Alvarado was shipping 40 dollars of grapes per day to Fort Worth this summer. (Gazette)
1895: The site of Venus was a corn field in 1893. Jabe Smyth, who owned the land, laid out the town in 1894, and this week the Santa Fe opened a depot in Venus. (Block)
1910: The Burleson Independent School District’s first school building which was located on the corner of S. Dobson and E. Ellison was opened to students. It was paid for with taxes collected. The school was a state of art three story brick building housing offices, class rooms and an auditorium. (Burleson, Texas-The First 100 years)
1912: An electric interurban express line between Fort Worth and Cleburne passing through Burleson began operations. (Block)
2010: Burleson’s second high school, Centennial High, opened to faculty and students. The Burleson Independent School District had been established 100 years prior. (Burleson Star)
John Duke Smith is a history buff. Send questions to johndukesmith@sbcglobal.net
Most of this information was published in 1982 in a Calendar of Johnson County History by Dan Young.

Burleson Star

327 N.W. Renfro St.
PO Box 909
Burleson, TX 76028-0909

Phone: 817-295-0486
FAX: 817-295-5278